Thursday, November 6, 2008

:: PC ::

No, today in our house that does not stand for politically correct...it stands for POISON CONTROL. I'm only able to laugh at this now, 2 hours later. I'm not really laughing, maybe I'm just nervous. Here's the story (b/c I know you are all still hung up on POISON CONTROL): I was feeding Emery in the living room, and I thought Trey was playing with his ABC's on the refrigerator. That's what I get for thinking. The next thing I know he's running into the living room with his mouth open pointing to the kitchen. I FLY off of the couch and immediately look by the sink...no cabinets open, nothing out. WHAT IS HE POINTING AT?...then I see it. There has been a small bottle of flea dip way back in our pantry. I thought the stuff was gone..but even if it wasn't the lid was supposed to be child-proof. I look in the bottle, thank GOD there isn't much out of it, but none-the-less Trey had some in his mouth. I am shaking at this point. I am running around the kitchen trying to figure out what to do. I got some water in his mouth and was making him spit. I then decided I better call poison control...they are FAST. I was on the phone with someone in no time. I'm telling her that he probably ingested about a tablespoon and that it didn't look like much was gone. She informs me (learn something new every day), that when a child swallows, it is about a teaspoon and that is a huge difference. Really? Yep, really. Anyway, she very calmly told me to keep an eye on him and look for things like difficulty breathing, seizures, etc. Yes, she is calmly telling me that. We hang up and I can't take my eyes off of Trey. Emery can scream, but I'm going to keep an eye on him. The lady calls me back within a minute of hanging up and tells me to get the kid some sweets...cookies, chocolate, juice. I said that is not a problem, he'll probably think that he should ingest some more of that stuff if that's what he gets! Anyway, Trey went on to eat 4 cookies, drink a full glass of non-diluted apple juice, a sweet potato, corn chowder, and mandarin oranges for dinner. I think he is fine. :)

5 comments:

Heather said...

SCARY! But I'm glad the poison control people are so on the ball, great to know! Whew!

Wendy said...

that's a great story! don't you love how the 'child proof' lids aren't really? at least my kids always figure out how to open them! so good to hear from you! how are things? i love your pictures and your awesome blog!
-wendy

Crystal Spies said...

Hey Kristy,
I am glad Trey is doing ok, I think we now understand what we put our parents through! ;)

The Jackson's said...

That is scary, but you handled it like a champ, you are super-mom!!! :)
-Robin-

Tammy said...

Oh that is scary. I'm so glad everyone is okay! Liam ate hand sanitizer once & I had to call too. He got lots of juice and I had to watch him for signs of "being drunk". Yikes.