Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Counting the Days...

Ahem, {let me clear my throat}..."We now interrupt this marriage/family for football season!" Can you hear the bands playing? We're ready for it though, I was just telling Joe that this really is my favorite time of year. Really. It is. You may not believe me, and I may be complaining in about a month, but just re-direct me back to this post. I am ready. My favorite time of year by far...well, that is once the temperature drops below 90! Joe has started back to work, but we are super stoked that he has this weekend off before they kick it into high gear.

Anyway, I've been slacking on my posts. Maybe it's because I'm not in school, and not in front of a computer for 5+ hours a day. I am the queen of sneaking in blog posts between classes, or maybe during class...I'll never tell.

We haven't been up to much, really. I promise, or I would share. We did get to take the kids, and Jana, to the circus last week...thanks Morgan's! The seats were fabulous, and Trey LOVED it. I jacked this picture off of google, because I might have been the only person in Reliant, that chose not to bring my camera. It was a great show, see...

Another major event this week was that I cooked dinner! I know, shocking. I really do love to cook, we just find a better reason to eat a sandwich on the run or something. We have been kickin' tail on the whole 'limiting' the eating out thing. Since you're all wondering what I made, you know you are. I'll share a recipe that we like...

Tortilla Lasagna:

This is one of my favorites, because the possibilities are endless and can totally be jazzed up however you like.

You'll Need:
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. ground meat
1 can refried beans
1 can corn, drained
1 small can tomato sauce
1 packet taco seasoning
1 package shredded cheese {I used Mexican blend}
Tortillas

Start with about a pound to a pound and a half of ground meat, and brown it. Add whatever seasonings, but I just added a taco seasoning packet and added the water that it says on the packet. I sauteed half of an onion in with the meat too. Once the meat is browned, I also add a small can of tomato sauce and a drained can of corn. Got it? That's all for the skillet. The rest is done in the casserole dish.

In a 9 x 13, I put a couple spots of refried beans on the bottom and stick the tortilla on the bottom...the beans hold the tortilla in place. {genius, I know...ha!} After the bottom layer of tortilla I smear about half the can of refried beans (a thin layer) across the bottom. On top of the beans, I spoon in half of the meat mixture. Add desired amount of cheese to the top...and re-layer. Tortilla, beans, meat mixture, and cheese. {I mix it up a bit, by putting another layer of tortilla on top of the meat and putting the cheese on top of the tortilla} Throw it in the oven on 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes to warm everything up. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and whatever else you like. I like to serve a tex-mex kind of salad. I jazzed up our ranch dressing that night and spooned in some salsa to the ranch...YUM!

P.S. I jacked this picture from google images too...I promise I'll get my camera out tomorrow. I hope!

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

I make something very similar. I call mine Mexican Lasagna. Pretty much the same recipe, I just use pinto beans (maybe next time I'll try refried), and I cover the tortillas with enchilada sause before I put the meat on. So good!!

Leyla said...

Hey Kristy! I'm always reading your blog, but for some reason never leave any comments. The fall and football season is my favorite time of the year too. Mainly because the excitement of the weather getting cooler and Aggie Football (which sucks lately) but the tailgating is still lots of fun and worth it. Anyway...thanks for the recipe!

Suesan said...

I don't know about you but I found the ringleader to be incredibly annoying!