Sunday, October 5, 2008

:: Positivity ::

First off, after going to church this morning...I have to start this post off like this: "Hi, my name is Kristy and I am a neg-a-holic". Okay, let me explain. Our church (Community of Faith) is doing a marriage series (Upgrade Your Marriage) and today was about staying positive. And like Dr. Phil says, "You can't change what you don't aknowledge". Basically the message was getting a positive foundation for your marriage. Our pastor and his wife (Mark & Laura=awesome!) gave us several steps to get there. This is my first step. I can be WAY negative...there I said it. Hence the term 'neg-a-holic'. Trey can be doing one of the cutest things in the world, and I'm sittin' on the sidelines thinking about what a MESS he is making. So ridiculous, but I do.

Some of the points that really stuck out to me today were: (1) I am responsible for my own attitude...so true! I just let my thoughts snow ball and before you know it my day is horrible, only because I think it is. This quote rocked: 'Trouble is inevitable, Misery is OPTIONAL.' (2) Every attitude begins with a thought. "For as he thinks within himself, so he is" Proverbs 23:7....This one really hits home. I think way too much. Even if it isn't negative thinking, nonetheless I'm thinking and not just enjoying the moments with my friends and family. Last but not least (3) My ATTITUDE affects my ACTIONS....ding, ding, ding, ding, ding: SO TRUE. We were given a new action tool to try this week, I'm kind of excited to try it...we have a little note card and every time we start to think negative thoughts (i.e. when is football season over?), then I put a check mark down on my paper. My poor note card. We were also challenged to memorize Phillipians 2:13 this week. "For it is God who is at work within you (me), giving you (me) the desire and the power to do what pleases Him."

God does some AWESOME things. Last week Joe and I decided to sleep in and not go to church. It would have been very easy to do the same thing this morning, seeing as how Joe didn't get home before 1 a.m. Sunday morning from his game...and had to be back at work by noon. But, we pulled our boot straps up, got the kids dressed, and made it on time!!! But, God wanted us there this morning. Why? Because I had already been thinking about this week and getting negative. Here's our schedule this week: Monday night-Bible study/small group (so excited, but using 2 babysitters this week already, so we have to pass on this one and go next time)...Tuesday night-Joe's Open House...Wednesday night-bachelorette night/shower for Mandy (babysitter....score!)...Thursday night-Sub varsity FB night...Friday night-Varsity FB game (babysitter...double score!)...Saturday-Cy Fest, Fire Fest (fire trucks and more), scouting with Joe that night.

I'm out of breath just typing that schedule! JUST KIDDING, b/c I think that qualifies as a negative thought. There are so many negative things I could think about this week. OR, I could think "Wow, we are so blessed with family and friends to share our lives with and we have one of the most rewarding jobs in the universe". This is what I'm going to be working on, so if you catch me bein' negative...STOP ME! :)

I hope everyone has a fantastic week!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a positive thought for you - YOU are so very awesome and I am so proud you are married to my son - and feel very blessed to have you for a wonderful daughter-in-law who I consider a very close friend, too.

Love & hugs,
Billie