Monday, November 28, 2011

November?

Whoa, what happened to November...for real!

What have we been up to? Well, football season ended the weekend before Thanksgiving. We fought a hard fight...not gonna lie, it was REALLY nice having Joe home and relaxed the week of Thanksgiving. That hasn't happened in a couple of years!

I made an awesome dessert for Thanksgiving...a pumpkin dump cake. I got the recipe from a fellow coaches wife. She served it at one of our last parties and it was the hit of the party. Here's the recipe. Make it, you won't be disappointed. If you are, let me know and Joe will come take the left overs off of your hands for you.


  • 2 cans pumpkin
  • 3 cups evaporated milk...I used fat free, not sure it made a whole lotta difference
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ginger {I didn't have any, so I left it out...still loved it}
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsps salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 stick of butter, sliced into pats
  • 1 cup chopped pecans...totally didn't measure, just covered the whole top

Directions: Mix pumpkin, evap. milk, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, eggs, sugar, and salt together well. Pour into greased floured 9x13 {if you have a larger one it wouldn't hurt, this fills it up}. Sprinkle the yellow cake mix on top. Lay out the pats of butter across the cake mix...I just did like 4 across and then spread them out down the rest of the mix. Cover the top with the pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and 20. One suggestion I have is that if the pecans are getting too toasty, maybe cover with foil? Regardless, this was gobbled up on Thanksgiving. Grandma said she preferred it over pumpkin pie because it was fluffier...and oh, so yummy!

Moving on...

I did go Black Friday shopping at Walmart.......never again. I did get some great deals, but the craziness...SO, not worth it. My mom and I showed up about an hour and a half before the sales kicked in. Just FYI, if you're going to go in the future...Walmart is OPEN, but they don't let you check out until 10:00 sharp. Also, our Walmart personnel didn't really care if you took things off the palette before 10:00, so my buggy was full of what I needed and I was in line by 9:15 to check out. I was 6th in line and was out of Walmart by 10:15! The electronics people {the ones sitting in the pet food aisle were not so lucky}...

Yesterday, we got the tree up. I did NOT want to go back to school without the tree being up. Joe helped me get it out of the attic and assembled...then the kids and I did the rest....I'm liking the tree this year. It's no designer tree, but we like it. :)



To top it off, we are doing Elf on the Shelf this year...and so far, it has been a HUGE hit. Meet Skippy! Last year, I skimped and didn't spend the money, and that was a mistake. Skippy has already provided his money worth in entertainment! Stay tuned, I'm documenting with my good camera!


I also made our 25 days of Christmas bags, we and are starting that Wednesday night...I know that Wednesday is not the first, but you do what you gotta do when daddy has his Fall Sports banquet Thursday night. We are starting it off big with a trip to Santa's Wonderland. We've learned that a week night trip is SO much better than a weekend.

Have a great weekend!! Only 3 weeks left of school for the Fall semester!!! YAY!

No comments: