Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hard Lesson to Learn

Don't worry that this will be what my external hard drive looks like in the next couple of weeks.


You know the drive that has everything...I mean EVERYTHING on it. The drive that is going to cost me $500+ to get the data recovered. {Hit the pause button...I need to go vomit in the trash can really quickly}

Seagate, shame on you....actually shame on me, because this is twice. First time shame on you, second...shame on me. You, however, have failed me for the last time.

Before you start shaking your finger at me and telling me I should have backed it up. I thought I DID have it backed up...no thanks to Backblaze. We purchased that over a couple of months ago. I set it up to back up our C:/ and my external...they tell you in the initial back up phase that it can take a couple of weeks. Every night I'd look at it and it said it was still running and backing up. It doesn't necessarily tell you which drive it is in the progress of backing up though....so, much to my disgust yesterday when I went to check my restore file, it only had the C:/ done. THANKS FOR NOTHING BACKBLAZE. If I hadn't already paid you for a year, you'd be fired too...kicked out to the curb, right along with Seagate.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to Best Buy and begged the Geek Squad girl to give me good news. Darn her, she didn't listen. She told me it was 'dead'...hence the fact I'm going to have to pay $500+ to recover data. I may or may not have gotten in the car, called Joe, and started my pity party and bawling the whole way home. The drive has everything...school work, design work, and gazillions of pictures. Y'all in less than 2 years I've managed to fill up a 500 gb drive...that's how many pictures. {I might throw up again} I could care less about the school files, they can keep them...but the pictures. They are worth every penny that it's going to cost me to get them back.

Learn from me....sign off, and go back up your pictures right now {go check out the cloud drives on Amazon for online back up}. Thankfully, I have a husband who is level headed and is managing to keep me calm and see that this is not the end of the world. I know there are much worse things in life, so I'll go put some big girl panties and deal with it. On a more positive note...I took and passed the Adobe Certified Associate exam in Adobe Photoshop yesterday, whoop!!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Billie said...

Look at it this way - the cost of recovery is tax deductible to you - but not to the normal taxpayer - for you that's a business expense! Sorry about the hassle you are having to go through. If I was in Houston, I'd give you a hug and buy you a Margarita! Love ya!