Monday, February 8, 2010

Fail.

So, last night I decided to try a new little appetizer for the Super Bowl. By the title of this post, you can guess where I'm going with this. It sounded VERY easy, and it really was. Joe even pitched in to help me. I wanted to make the Bacon Wrapped Smokies that I've seen on several blogs. They look something like these... {and yes, I hijacked this image from Google, because I'm being too lazy to get the ones off of my camera that are in RAW.} Anyway, moving on. Here's what they're supposed to look like:


All the recipe calls for is:

  • 2 packages of lil' smokies
  • 1 package of bacon
  • brown sugar
  • butter
Joe got all of the smokies arranged, I cut the bacon and he wrapped. Simple enough. Cut the bacon long ways down the middle and then cut them long enough to wrap the smokie...make sense? Sprinkle brown sugar over the smokies and then pour some melted butter over everything. Butter makes everything better, not last night though. The recipes that I saw had said bake at 375 for 45 minutes...perfect, time for a shower while they cook. When I got out of the shower, I could smell them cooking and thought to myself, "YUM". Not so much...Joe went down to get them out of the oven. My first clue that this wasn't going to work out was when the smoke detectors started blaring. We had BLACK little bacon wrapped smokies. There was no salvaging them. Not a one. Oh well, I'll try again...but maybe cut the baking time in half?!

Question: Is it Friday yet? My weekends lately, are just teasers...I am ready for Spring/Summer!
................................................................................................

Would you do me a favor this week? Keep these 3 families in your prayers?

Connor - Connor's mom is a sorority sister of mine and his dad is a fraternity brother of Joe's. I can't imagine the pain they're feeling right now. Sweet Connor is fully healed now, but there are a lot of sad hearts missing him this morning.

Stacey - I do not know Stacey personally, but have friends that are dear friends with her. Stacey is battling cancer, and is in the hospital right now struggling either with an infection or failing kidneys. Her friends/family could really use prayers for strength and comfort.

Emery - Emery's mom ran track at SFA while Joe and I were there. One of her best friends was one of my last roommates at SFA. Obviously this lil' girl is sweet as pie, and hits a little close to home for me...especially because of her name. She is 2/3 months old and battling neuroblastoma. Doctors are hopeful and we are praying like crazy that she knocks this out now, and can go home to Amarillo and be a happy, healthy little girl.

No comments: